Sunday, September 03, 2006
home sweet home
Somehow, somewhat...I have the urge to pen down my thoughts before they dissipate. Maybe its the dumb essay that I have to rush out again. Did I ever mention that I have a chao-enthu writing instructor and I am in this freakin chim Philosphy/History class on "Collecting Toys"? I can't believed how whacked I am to be tricked into balloting for the class. As simple as the title sounds, its actually the total opposite --- I have to read long texts by uninspirational old fogies who quote Greek (literally) figurines like Apostle and Descartes in their duality theorem whereby Individuals and Societies are separate entities on its own, HENCE people COLLECT as a form of inward expression and relation to their surroundings. Now, does that abstract idea even make sense at all?Its been 3 weeks since I've settled in nicely into Cornell. School's so taxing we can't just slip right back into our orientation mode as and when we like. No more talks about going down to the lakes & gorges to swim (or actually gorge jump), no more bringing back guys to Balch (haha)...everyone's (including me!) so involved in school work now, and its almost back to life in JC where we have to work hard and try to play hard. =/
On a lighter note, I turned 19 two days ago. It was a nice birthday girl day..we had good Japanese food at Miyake's which costs a bomb in College students terms and we popped by parties after parties after dinner. It was kinda embarassing cos we had this "Freshman wanting to crash a party look" all over our faces as we bumped around from place to place along campus. 'Twas was a fun evening to keep our minds off from the books for awhile. (:
Fraternity parties are definintely so shady --- you won't be able to imagine the amount of freeflow booze, grinding, and thumping going on. Its so animalistic I dont know whether to feel gross-ed out or just laugh off their behaviour. Guess that's part and parcel of college life. Monday to Thurs we are full-time geeks and when the weekends finally come, all hell breaks lose and its welcome-to-our-not-so- secret-world-of-alternative-lifestyles . You won't believe it when you see the smart kiddo from class morphing into a totally wasted crap at the pavements. Arh... but such details should be spared lest you guys associate me with such forms of shadyness. Haha. ;D
But after typing all these, I almost forgot that what I really wanted to say that I really miss home. I miss eating nice Sunday tim sum lunches with my entire family. Having to practise my violin together with my younger brother, bugging and be bugged by my elder brother. Having my mum to give me a nice back massage whenever I am stressed out. And Daddy buying my favourite food from his workplace.
As much as I get to contact everyone by Skype or MSN almost everyday, (some people even find it incredulous when I drink water over the webcam thousands of miles away), the feeling isnt quite right or the same as being back in my little home. I can't believe that I would be actually confessing to such a mushy wushy feeling; but at the same time, I'm wishing that everyone I love would be around me like how it has always been.
It's this naggy feeling, a little twinge of sadness, warmth, and longing for that has been lost for quite awhile ever since I left home. And of course, rediscovered which actually leads to this blog entry.
For now, I've gotta rush my essay so that tomorrow won't be a Mad-rush Monday for me.
Till then,
xoxo
p.s Shall be posting my birthday pictures in awhile!
ilovetotwirl at 6:25 PM
