Thursday, April 30, 2009
salut
Its the 2nd last day of classes in Spring'09 semester, Cornell, of undergrad, and possibly my entire life. While the professor toasted us graduating seniors in Wines class (yes, I do take drinking as a subject)yesterday, rose champagne and in my flushed stupor, I felt a sudden rush of emotions; a mixed feeling of sadness and nostalgia.So dear college life, I'm officially saying goodbye to you in this blog.
I remember every little bit about you. How you first greeted me when I checked my email on 1st April 2006, excited about being excepted and thinking "oh well at least I have one more option". Turns out that you were my best option and over the next few months before departing, I braced myself for a new life away from home. Armed with my exploding luggages and overly-concerned mum I was introduced to you.
All those tough nights in freshman year, feeling homesick and the irresistible urge to buy a plane ticket home during holidays. Slowly, this feeling started to fade away as I got acquainted with the snow, prelims and my dorm mates in Balch. I remember all those awkward times when we were such wannabes, always trying to find a party to crash or a fraternity party to attend. How silly it seems walking back home in the dark (and cold) and braving drunk drivers around blind spots just to get a taste of what's known as greek life, fun and keystone light. And of course, having a boyfriend in Spring and getting to explore all the hidden gorges around campus together on evenings.
Moving out of campus in Sophomore gave me more time to think about how I wanted my Cornell life to be. Yes, there were now less incidents of parties and girly hangouts but I definitely gained freedom and the chance to explore Ithaca and all its little secrets. Tapas, downtown Ithaca commons, and even Syracuse for the occasional shopping fix. And of course, I got used to the never-ending stream of work and understood that it was only part and parcel of college life to be sleeping at 2am everyday.
Then Senior year came along, and it took me quite awhile to figure out what I had to do with my life. I'm sorry to say that I resented you for awhile for having too many bright and privileged kids on-campus which made my recruiting so tough. But then again, I'm thankful that you eventually drew me out of my shell and taught me how to stand out and stand up for myself.
I know when you are gone, I will definitely miss you in more than many ways. The nurturing side of you, the academic side of you, the sociable side of you, and all the little things that you imparted to me which opened my eyes to a new world and made me a better person.
So thank you for all the memories, and the good times over the past 3 years.
I think I wanted to say goodbye to you, but I eventually figured this out. The only way to say goodbye: don't.
I guess that's going to be it for awhile. You have been one of the most wonderful things in my life and I promise that sometime in the future, we will meet again.
:)
ilovetotwirl at 11:15 AM
